The United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) is working with disaster coordinators and Early Response Teams (ERT) in annual conferences to assist local churches in responding to hurricanes and ongoing situations in the United States and around the world.
As we lift these concerns before God, we are reminded to:
Do No Harm right now:
- Do Not “self-deploy” into a region until invited. It is important that emergency responders, governmental agencies and the American Red Cross do their respective jobs so that teams can be invited to enter a disaster area.
- Do Not send supplies and clothes. Unwanted items sent into disaster zones become burdens on an already-overwhelmed area.
Do Good right now:
- Pray for the communities impacted by the disaster, the lives forever changed, and those responding.
- Collect an offering or host a fundraiser in your local church. Because of the connectional network of The United Methodist Church, 100% of all funds will be delivered to persons directly involved in or responding to the disaster.
- Make checks payable to your local church. The church treasurer will forward the collected money to the Conference using the church remittance form.
- Donate online by visiting www.umcor.org and clicking on the Donate button
- Consider making a contribution to the following:
Fund EOC 1327 – US Disaster Response
(Use the check’s memo line to donate for a specific storm)
Fund EOC 9046 – EOC UM Volunteers in Mission (UMVIM)
Advance 901375 – North Central Jurisdiction (NCJ) UMVIM
Advance 982450 – UMCOR International Disaster Response
- Assemble relief kits.
- Assembled kits need to be transported* to:
- Lead an Early Response Team. Trained responders interested in being part of a future East Ohio team should e-mail Mike Williams at email@example.com
- Consult your district response coordinator to explore ideas.
Prior disasters still have a need for long-term recovery teams.
- Consider volunteering to lead UMVIM Long-Term Projects
Disaster response begins with preparation.
- Learn about Connecting Neighbors, which provides community-wide training hosted by your church – including an inventory of resources offered by a variety of local responders. E-mail Mike Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Take Early Response Teams (ERT) training to learn important perspectives and experience for stopping damage and beginning clean up after the local Emergency Management Agency has determined it is safe to enter the area.
- Make a family plan by visiting www.ready.gov. Your family may not be together if a disaster strikes. Know how you’ll contact one another and reconnect if separated. Establish a family meeting place that’s familiar and easy to find.
Thank you for your continued prayers and for the donation of your time and financial resources as we work together across The United Methodist Church to respond to those in need.
Disaster Response Chair
The East Ohio Conference Office:
located in North Canton, OH,
near Akron-Canton Airport.
8800 Cleveland Ave. NW.
North Canton, OH 44720
Local: (330) 499-3972
Toll Free: (800) 831-3972
Fax: (330) 499-3279
Monday through Friday
8:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
©2016 EAST OHIO CONFERENCE. All Rights Reserved.